Select Weapons, Ordinance and Reconnaissance Detachment
They will carry highly accurate rifles with higher end optics/night vision (Select Weapons) study the theory and employment of military weapons they may encounter on a future battlefield, such as grenades, RPG’s, mines, etc. (Ordinance) and practice advanced land navigation, compass/map reading and recon techniques (Reconnaissance).
All members of the team must be:
– Level 3 qualified in both Physical Fitness and Marksmanship (i.e. a Grade Modifier of 33X).
– Assault Pistol qualification is also required.
Individual Skills (2 members each, but cross-training is encouraged) –
Designated Marksman Team:
– Both must pass DMR qualification. In the field one will act as the spotter.
– Conduct a terrain survey.
– Estimate range to target.
– Construct and use a ghillie suit.
– Construct and use a Sniper/Forward Observation Post hide.
– Conduct long range surveillance of target for intelligence gathering purposes.
– Plan and implement a enemy harassment plan.
– Plan and conduct interdiction operations on key target personnel.
Advanced Land Navigation:
– Advanced map/compass reading
– Excellent land navigation skills
– Plan, lead and execute patrols and reconnaissance gathering missions.
– Must complete a HAM radio training program and have a thorough understanding of Basic Operating Procedures, Tactical Comm, CommSec, the Rapid Alert System, SitRep
and SALUTE and his unit C.E.O.I.
– Must be able to operate all unit comm equipment.
– Build a field expedient, clandestine antenna.
– Transmit and receive Morse code.
Training activities of a six-man S.W.O.R.D. Team –
– Plan and conduct a surveillance/recon patrol to include long range ops (LRRP).
– Plan and implement psychological ops.
– Prepare accurate Sit-Reps and assist Command Staff in the planning of operations.
– Identify and track enemy patrol/recon operations.
– Design and implement ambushes and raids to include sniper operations.
– Know how to assemble incendiary devices made from common readily available material (knowledge, not build illegal devices).
– Create a smoke screen.
S.W.O.R.D. Team Rank Structure –
The Team Leader and Assistant Team Leader must be the two members of the team trained in advanced land navigation techniques. They will plan and lead the patrols/operations, as well as assist in the training of the other members of the team.
Team Leader – Master Sergeant
Assistant Team Leader – Staff Sergeant
Comm’s and DM’s (2 each) – Sergeant
Since a “Select Weapons, Ordinance and Reconnaissance Detachment” is just that, a detachment, members of a Command Staff (Battalion, Regiment, etc.) cannot serve on
S.W.O.R.D. Teams. If a detachment were deployed which contained members of the unit’s Command Staff it would effectively decapitate the unit leaving them lacking in key personnel.